Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lord, Save Us...

From "Lord, Save Us From Your Followers" by Dan Merchant

The point is, it's easy to make exceptions to Jesus' call. Now I'm not trying to be a jerk here; I'm merely illustrating how flipping easy it is for us Christians to disqualify someone or some group. We declare them unworthy...unworthy of our best...unworthy of the love we're called to share. That is simply unacceptable. I don't think it's right to partake of this faith and blame others for this tumult. You know, that whole "He who is without sin..." thing weighs on me. And since none of us are in the "No Sin Zone," aren't we all in the same predicament?

I tend to get confused, so I want to be sure I'm articulating my thoughts as clearly as inteneded. Let me see if we're tracking together, okay?

Christians are the ones who believe in the God of love, right? We're the ones who love and worship the Prince of Peace, right? Isn't that us? Aren't we the ones who are to hold patience, kindness, and forgiveness up as ideal standards? We're the truth and grace people, correct? Then why are we hammering others with the truth (our take on it, anyway), and then neglecting to share the grace? Those two things go together; one doesn't mean as much without the other.

Why are we so comfortable blaming those who disagree with us for the conflicts in our country? Why are we allowing the gospel of love to divide America? I'm comfortable with the bar being higher for us. If not us, then who? We're saved, right? Isn't that worth something now? Jesus is the One who accepts everybody, who includes the weakest in His embrace, restores the broken, deperate, and unworthy (there I go again, trying to sneak one by you...yes, you're right, we're all unworthy, that's why I'm so grateful for grace). If we are truly to represent Him, we better come up with a better plan than dividing the country over temporal, political issues.

No comments: