Thursday, April 24, 2008

Inconvenience

We, as a people, don’t like to be inconvenienced. Our lives are too busy. We have too much to do. We have stuff to take care of. We have important meetings to attend. We need to pay for our bigger house, newer car, new toys, our vacation homes, our pretty yards, our status, our pools and hot tubs.

Our kids grow up not wanting to be inconvenienced. They are too busy playing video games, watching TV, listening to their iPods, talking on their cell phones, creating their web page.

As a people we would rather get the government to do what Jesus told his followers to do. We think we are doing the “Christian” thing by getting the government to steal from the rich to give to the poor. It’s easier to get someone else to walk that extra mile rather than do it myself. It’s more convenient to get some faceless government agency to take care of the needy, than for me to get involved with someone else’s life. I might miss the next episode of “Survivor.”

“Hey, having that baby can inconvenience my plans for my life.” “Doing what I’m asked inconveniences what I want to do.” “I’m an important and busy person. Don’t bother me with that ‘love my neighbor’ stuff.”

Maybe we need to set aside the things that are not important, and get down to the things that are.

On the flip side of that, we must realize that other people do have other things going on in their lives and we are not the center of the universe and everyone can’t cater to all our needs. (Yes, I know, it’s hard to accept. It was a shock to me too. I’m still dealing with the repercussions of that.) Take for example, my pastor, for that matter any pastor. Nice guy. Great teacher. He can’t be everyone’s friend. He wouldn’t have time for his own family. He can’t accept every invitation to dinner. He can’t be everywhere. He’s human just like the rest of us - bound by time or the lack thereof.

Some people think because you are in some position of authority you are better at praying for things than they are. “You, as the authority, must have some higher knowledge and can ask God for stuff.” Those of us who have accepted Christ as our Savior, we can boldly go to the throne of God and place our supplications at His feet. He is never inconvenienced. He will never turn you away. But, we must also realize that “no” is an answer. All the promises of God are “yes and amen,” but sometimes our desires may not necessarily be good for us. Some times our desires may not be in line with what God desires for us.

May we come to learn that love is not inconvenient.

Blessings and Grace,
DJ GlenMC

No comments: